Monday 1 March 2010

The smattered colours of ecstatic fright

Happy St David’s Day!! Leeks and dragons and sheep oh my!

Beams of straggling sunlight peeking through the gaps in my curtains this morning made it seem like the first proper day of spring today, putting a bounce in my step and instilling some form of motivation after a week grumping about with tonsillitis. Running out in the fragrant fresh with clouds floating aimlessly across an azure sky made me think of this; probably the most underrated dance choon of the early Noughties.




To be honest, I’ve been trying to find an excuse to post this since the dawn of my blogging time. It’s a firm stayer in my Top 25 most played and has accompanied me down powdered pistes, floated across crystal Canadian lakes and boomed out of rickety Rabotian balconies.

However, I digress.
I’m off to see Passion Pit, purveyors of musical goodness, in Brizzle on Wednesday night, cueing the past week spent “warming up” with their epic album “Manners”. Thing is, I’ve already seen them at the heatwave that was Glastonbury this summer, but since “seeing them’ consisted more of passing out to them outside the John Peel Tent, it’s pretty much essential that I enjoy them again. Actually being conscious this time would be a massive plus as well.

Passion Pit are a delightful mashup of aural goodness, resonating with some chunky percussion, swirled about with vibrant electo and dusted off with some admirably high pitched vocals. They are American, yes, but seem to be blessed with a sweetly genuine demeanour and not so much blustering bravado as one might find with other cross-pond successes.

Top tracks off of the album? You must have already heard of “Sleepyhead”, the carousing, multi layered affair summing up the band’s abilty. Check out the stripped down piano version here.



Or if you fancy, Ellie Goulding and Starsmith have done a natty little electro-y cover featuring Goulding’s always amazing vocals.



I’m not going to lie. I’m actually in a bit of a mood with Ellie Goulding at the moment. Musically, I’ve been blown out. Twitter was alight with moans and whinges yesterday as she announced:
“I'm so sorry and I'm so gutted that I've had to cancel the Bristol date with passion pit to do a tv thing. I'm genuinely so sorry :( :(“
The TV thing? Alan Carr, appazas. No words.
She then went on to offer her flat as a potential venue for gutted fans. Forget the rescheduling , I think I need a hotline. It’s a bit like being told not to drink again; all you want is an ice cold gin and tonic or ten.
Consequently I then went straight to spotify and spent the next hour masochistically replaying Starry-eyed, like the absolute goon I am. I need to get a bloody life.

Ok. Enough is enough. Back to Passion Pit.
Please relish these two little beauties; let their sheer genius roll around your eardrums and seep into your subconscious and I will let you know if they were as amazing as they sound post passion frenzy. Try and make out the lyrics if you possibly can, there's some little gems squeezed about just crying to become blog post titles. Ahem

Little Secrets: A proper goer; smashingly good drums and some buzzy electro makes for a win win situation.



Swimming in The Flood slowly builds into languorous loveliness. Lip smackingly good.




ONE MORE THING!!! You cannot progress any further with your life without hearing this. A collision of goodness as Passion Pit pose as their producing alter-egos, The Wet Bandits" and give Two Door Cinema Club's "Undercover Martyn" a thorough overhaul, Passion style. Gleeful is probably the most apt description for this treasure. Apologies for the dire quality....





© Miranda Thompson 2010
DISCLAIMER: The video links hosted on my blog are not being presented as my own. If you believe that the copyright in your work has been violated through this post, please contact me through the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment