Thursday 28 January 2010

Snow Good

I'm going to see the wondrous Miike Snow at the Bristol Thekla this weekend and to celebrate, I’m dedicating this post to the sheer amazingness of the Swedish collective's electropop output. Not only are the group magicians of music themselves, their songs have been subject to some serious remixing by such legends as Caspa, Mark Ronson and Crookers, and I’ve picked the cream of the crop to share right here with you.

Eschewing the more well known faces who’ve remixed the eponymous “Animal” like Crookers and the Ronson, I’ve gone for fellow Swedes Peter Bjorn and John on this one. As well as being amongst my 2009 favourites with a midday Glastonbury slot to remember, I’m always a fan of the smashingly good drums that their songs mould themselves around, showcased in the lolloping “Nothing to Worry About”. They’ve banged the nail on the head here with a fantastic, spaced out, happy-clappy remastering.



Next up, “Black and Blue”. I faced a bit of a Sophie’s Choice on this one, with the fast-paced intensity of the Netsky remix being edged out by this Caspa dubstep treatment. Once again, it came down to the percussion, and I think the slightly sloppy, casual Caspa version just oozed that bit more sophistication than Netsky’s hyperactive attempt.



The big beat rules supreme. Emalkay’s reworking of the haunting “Silvia” is sublime. It radiates sunsets and twilight with ebbing vocals and undulating synths. If you fancy something a bit more static and in-your-face, give the Robotberget mix a go.




Sunday cannot come quickly enough.

© Miranda Thompson 2010

DISCLAIMER: The video links hosted on my blog are not being presented as my own. If you believe that the copyright in your work has been violated through this post, please contact me through the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment