Saturday 13 February 2010

Ballin'

I began playing basketball last year, and despite being nowhere near Michael Jordan or even Zac Efron standards, I bloody love it.

Thursday night sees the stage set for lay ups, free throws and the occasional on court wrestle accompanied by a soundtrack I’ve been compiling via Facebook to get my playa in crime pumped for the evening’s festivities. From Mis-Teeq decked out in pink velour and cork wedges to Lil Bow Wow actually dropping some plays into his lyrics, here are a few gems dedicated to celebrating my sport of Kings, Bball.


What better way to slam drunk straight to the point with Bow Wow’s oh so appropriately titled “Basketball”? “Yeah, now basketball is my favorite sport
I love the way they dribble up and down the court.” Couldn’t agree anymore with you there.



A playa can pick up a lot of useful slang from his slightly high pitched spitting, from “faking” or using the “MJ fadeaway” to even getting the DL on Bow’s favourite play (the alley – oop, for future reference. I have no clue).
What with the bouncing dreads and thick white headbands I don’t think the sport can be made to look any cooler than in this video y’all.


Could it get any better? With the magic combination of UK girl garage meeting Montell Jordan’s classic “This is How We Do It”, hells yes. Alright, so there’s not actually any basketball played here, but do enjoy the crowds of ripped men pressed up behind the girls courtside and of course, the angelic Alesha’s gravel rap. That voice is wasted on Strictly.



No basketball related post of mine would be complete without the inclusion of a joyous extract from the seminal High School Musical, the film that inspired me to attend the nearly naked Safer Sex Ball decked out in red and white “Wildcats” crop top and shorts combo from the children’s pyjama section at New Look. Good times.



Feel the thrills as the clip builds to a climax, try to ignore Vanessa’ Hudgen’s face and remember that “The way we play tonight is what we leave behind”, an inspirational mantra ripe for inscribing on a T-shirt.


Finally, the velvety voiced Drake. Quality, quality song and a great spin on the standard boobs and bitches rap video, featuring a girl’s basketball team blessed in the chest department who seem to have mislaid their sports bras in outfits my scrappy shorts will never live up to. This video doesn’t take itself too seriously and it’s refreshing to see a bit of humour mixed in with the bouncing. Girls will wince, guys will gawp.



On a further sporting note, I know I've blogged about it before, but the Matt and Kim's Daylight has been taken to the next level with a banging remix by Troublemaker and featuring De La Soul. It's also being used for the Fifa 10 soundtrack, something I hope footie fans will appreciate. Enjoy!




© Miranda Thompson 2010

DISCLAIMER: The video links hosted on my blog are not being presented as my own. If you believe that the copyright in your work has been violated through this post, please contact me through the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment